Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Naming the Studio - Harder Than it Sounds

New post time. Going back to the AMV obsession, I spent a little more time on the "background" aspects - namely production and studio names. ^_^
Ok, so this little relapse is thanks to Peter. He came to visit Celia and informed me that he discovered an AMAZING song off of the game
Left 4 Dead 2. The song is called Re: Your Brains. EPICNESS! ^_^ Well, I instantly fell in love with this quirky song about the head of the zombies trying to negotiate with his former co-worker who has the surviving humans locked safely inside the local mall. I think my favorite lines are "We're not unreasonable, I mean, no one's gonna eat your eyes" and "and I plan on eating you slowly." Anyway, where I'm going with this is that I noticed that the singer/songwriter for Re: Your Brains is Jonathan Coulton, who is a very funny songwriter, but is most well known for a little song called Still Alive. Yup, that little ditty used as the end credits to the gaming phenomenon known as Portal. The story of Still Alive - for those who somehow don't know - is that you just completed the game and the game's antagonist GLaDOS sings about her achievement in you. The song contains some spoilers about how to actually win the game, but it's sort of easy to figure out how to kill GLaDOS anyway, so go ahead an take a listen if you haven't yet. ^_^ In fact, go ahead and check out the end credits... which includes the song lyrics on the left side.
OK, so now that you're caught up with the song Still Alive, I started thinking about the character GLaDOS and how she's sort of a female version of
HAL from 2001: A Space Odyssey. I also used to have major malfunctions with the computer I had in college, and so I "lovingly" called it HAL in reference to said Space Odyssey character. Well, for the most part, my new computer has been "behaving"... but it's starting to act funky lately, so I have been teasing that perhaps I should call my new desktop GLaDOS. OK, I know this seems like rambling again, but I want you to follow my train of thought here...
OK, so to quickly recap, Peter took me to Re: Your Brains, which led me back to Still Alive thanx to the common songwriter, which led me to thinking about how I should call my new computer GLaDOS, due to the similarities between GLaDOS and HAL and how I called my old computer HAL. Everyone caught up now? Everyone understands? Ok, good, moving on. ^_^
I started thinking how funny it would be if Mina and I used "Still Alive" in our production bump somehow, but it made no sense for the name "In the Fridge Productions".
Need a recap on that topic? OK, so then I thought, "OMG... all major movies have both a production team AND a studio, so why can't AMVs?" Mina and I thought of the concept for the AMV we want to submit - so we are collectively the production team of In the Fridge Productions. However, the AMV will be put together on my computer - the "studio". Therefore, I now have the excuse to use Still Alive as a bump - the "Studio" name! ^_^ So now I've decided that all AMVs made on my current computer will be "Still Alive Studio". I even know what I want the bump to be - but it will be tough to do with InkScape/Paint and Windows Movie Maker, so here's hoping I do go insane trying to animate it! >_< GLaDOS' "cores" slowly twists upward to reveal the "eye" and then either a zoom out to reveal the core is the dot above the "i" in Still, or the words "Still Alive Studio" will slide in from the left... We'll see. I'll post when I ever finish it.
The only other thing - and the reason this belongs in a blog about obsessions - is that now that I thought of two different "production" names - one for a production team and one for a studio production - I'm now thinking of different names all the time!
A little history lesson before continuing with this....Back about six years ago I was in a Basic Video Production class in order to teach us how to edit film we were given a project entitled Bright Wolf. It was a made-for-tv BBC werewolf movie that ended up so horrible that they decided to scrap the project even after the finished edit. In order to make back the money put into the film, BBC decided to sell Bright Wolf as an editing training video. It came with the first half of the movie edited together and the students were tasked to edit the second half. We were provided with all of the raw footage and the script. Seems simple, but each shot had multiple takes and multiple angles and it takes roughly one hour to edit one minute of film - we had to edit 10 minutes worth. Here's another Blogger's take on the subject. And so EVERY electronic media student who had taken this class held one line very close to our hearts: "Chaos. All is Chaos. I am lord of Chaos!" It is the last line of Bright Wolf and once that line was uttered it meant you were FINALLY done! We would routinely use that line throughout the rest of our college career as sort of a camaraderie statement. Don't believe the movie was that bad? Here's just
one student's edit of the "glory" that is Bright Wolf - and this is one of the BETTER edits (as opposed to this one...)!
Anyway, history lesson over. My point in all of this is my thought of using "All is Chaos Productions" as another name instead of "In the Fridge Productions". I have "ILR Productions" as my own personal name, and so I wouldn't use "All is Chaos". However, it wouldn't feel right to use it with Mina since she didn't even go to the same college, and doesn't know the backstory to the phrase. I then thought that I could use it for when I do a collaborative AMV effort with Remy, since he lived through me going through the "chaos" and we do have pretty chaotic adventures. It seems fitting, but then I thought of yet another hallmark of my college years.
This history is slightly shorter. Remy's group of guy friends - four in total, that's important - wanted to come up with a name for their little group. This was during freshmen year, and so it was shortly after the movie
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back came out. In the movie, there is an organization called Coalition for Liberation of Itinerant Tree-Dwellers. Well, obviously the acronym was a hot topic of college boys, and Remy's group wanted a similar type acronym for the name of THEIR group. Well, one of Remy's friends was a huge Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy fan. The series was originally just a trilogy, but Douglas Adams ended up having more story to tell, so the series ended up being five books long. On the cover of the last book in the series is the statement "The fifth book in the increasingly inaccurately named Hitchhiker's Trilogy". And thusly, the group was named The Inaccurate Triad. Go ahead, figure out the acronym... got it? Ok, moving on. Well, Remy's group used The Inaccurate Triad as their college radio show name - which I then inherited sophomore year. And so, since I was assimilated into The Inaccurate Triad, I would think any collaborative effort with Remy would HAVE to use that title.
But then again, Remy already came up with a production name for the LARP he plays called
Vampire: The Masquerade. His one character was a movie producer who owned - aptly named - Masquerade Productions - which would also work well if we ever did any vampire-themed AMVs...
OK, I think that was the end of my train of thought on the subject. And - as usual - looking up all of those helpful links in my posts distracted me and this post kept me about 7 hours to complete >_<

No comments:

Post a Comment