Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Week of Win!

OK, so this week's obsession consists of massive awesomeness in my life (I don't get out much...). First up, I got to see Jeff Dunham live on Sunday! Don't know who Jeff Dunham is!? Here's a link for ya! (please excuse the F-bomb dropped at 2:42) Not one of my favorite puppets, but Bubba J here is key to this post. Soooo anyway! The show was awesome. One of my favorite parts was about 1/2 way through when Jeff brought out his tour-mate "Guitar Guy" (I'm sure there's a link off of one of Jeff's YouTube videos....). So Jeff has his puppet Ahkmed the Dead Terrorist start picking on Guitar Guy and this turned into a ten-minute tangent that only ended when Jeff couldn't keep a straight face anymore. This part was only eclipsed by Jeff's encore performance.
The show was at a city by my hometown which, although was technically a "city", it was still a little bit on the hick-side of things. Well, to show our hick-sided-ness, apparently a great many of those in attendance had written Jeff and requested that he brings Bubba J (who hasn't been used in a performance for a few years). So Jeff comes out with Bubba J as his encore, and the audience went insane! Being that the show itself was at a state fair, Bubba J comes out screaming "I'm Home!" Well, Jeff explained how everyone requested Bubba J's appearance and that he's sorry, but he'll have to use a cheat-sheet because he doesn't remember the Bubba J skit too well anymore. To which Bubba J (the puppet, remember) replied "I know all my lines."
Well, now it was time for the audience to amuse Jeff, because when he got to the bit about Bubba J's wife (4:15 into the above linked clip) the entire audience called back Bubba J's lines. The skit was funny enough as it is, being AT a state fair, but hearing HUNDREDS (thousands?) of people calling back Bubba J's lines with him was just too much. About 1/2 way through the skit Bubba J turned to Jeff and said "They know my lines better than you do!" And then Bubba J said "It's like having 2500 voices in my head!" Now keep in mind that the audience is shouting back the ENTIRE PARAGRAPH about Bubba J meeting his wife! The part that made me laugh the hardest was for the line "And then she smiled... what a tooth!" Jeff got to about "And then she-" before he stopped and the audience finished off Bubba J's line! He leaned against the trunk he keeps his puppets in and just stared at us. His look was PRICELESS. He then said that by far this was one of the strangest shows he'd performed ^_^
Ok, second thing for the Week of Win - the movie "9". This is a feature-length version of Shane Acker's 10-minute, 2004 (2005?) Oscar-nominated, short. Here is the movie preview complete with the song "Welcome Home" by Coheed and Cambria (which makes everything epic). There are mixed reviews for this movie - some are uber excited (like me) and others see "Stitchpunk dolls" animated with bits of human souls and think "lame!" Well, if the short film appealed to you than you should DEFINATELY go see the feature film. Granted, it may not be worth the $10 you spend for a movie that is only about 80 minutes long (if that), but I greatly enjoyed the experience and cannot wait for it to come out on video. It is very action packed with one antagonist and three "henchmen" (if you want to call them that). Also, aside from a few key changes, the feature really is a lengthening of the short and I was amused by the elements from the short that managed to work into the feature. Contrary to the jaded idiots on YouTube who think they can review a movie, I was super excited for "9" coming out on 9-9-09, and I'm glad I went to the first showing today (if you ignore the midnight showing they had last night). It's not a RAVE review... but here is one that I feel was fairly just. My only complaint is that I didn't find the ending as abrupt as they did, but that's because I was expecting it after watching the 10-min short.
The last thing I'm UBER excited about is this upcoming Saturday. I am a HUGE Legend of Zelda fan and have been saying for a little while that I would LOVE for there to be a movie (ignoring, of course, that just about ALL movies based on video games suck major ass). I was greatly distraught by the IGN.com April Fools 2008 "Legend of Zelda" movie prank (which, to my defense I didn't see until April SECOND so it didn't even occur to me it was a prank...). Anyway, further research brought me to BMB Finishes who really was making a LoZ movie - but completely out-of-pocket since it wasn't approved by Nintendo. After a 5-year process, the movie was finally completed and premiered in Atlanta in June 2009. Here is the preview for the movie - keep in mind it is an INDEPENDENT film with NO BUDGET and actors/crew donating their time (so think of it as a student movie). Here is the original Teaser Trailer - which got me excited in the first place. Here is another promo for the movie, which is a parody of one of the most famous NES Zelda game Japanese promos. So that is the end of the videos I'm posting (I think....)
Now, you might be wondering what all of this has to do with Saturday, since it already premiered in Atlanta. Well, my friends, BMB Finishes is using its own money once again in order to tour the country (world? They have a showing in Germany...), and their next showing is at Tribeca Cinemas in NYC on September 12th. Yup, that would be THIS Saturday. For more information, and to list your home town as a HoT Spot (get it? Hot spot... HoT spot... Hero Of Time spot? Got it yet? Clever, right?), go to BMB Finishes' website for the movie. And if you're going to the movie, don't forget to register with them at the website to reserve a seat. Since this isn't licensed by Nintendo the movie should be free, but I'm sure they wouldn't mind some compensation for the money they already spent... *shrug*.
AAAAAANYWAY, I'm now done watching "9" so my next obsession is getting to and from NYC on Saturday for the showing of "Hero Of Time" as well as deciding on if I want to make a trip to Hot Topic this week to get a LoZ something or other for BMB Finishes to sign...

Well, this concludes at least a portion of this obsessive impulse. The true conclusion will be on Sunday when I post about the movie. Taataa!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment