Friday, September 4, 2009

The Dream

For my first post, I'm going with a dream I had this morning that has been begging for me to not forget it, and thus, I post:

The first thing I remember about my dream is being back in high school. It wasn’t MY high school, however. This one seemed more like all of those Hollywood depictions of California high schools. Well, that crossed with a mall. The very center of the school was the cafeteria, but it was set up more like a food court. The dining area was downstairs and then there was a set of up/down escalators that lead to the actual food area upstairs – where you’ll buy your lunch stamps/tickets/whatever and then redeem said “whatevers” at one of 5 food stations. I don’t recall much more of this bizarro school, but I remember the cafeteria.
I also recall feeling alone and isolated, kind of like how I was in college. I never seemed to have someone to eat with in college – but that’s besides the point. In my dream I was back with two of my friends, Lester and Sue and I loved seeing them again after the long summer break. However, there was a fourth member of our group that I still missed. Nick.
The dream brought in some real-life facts in the way that we all commented on not seeing Nick in about two years. No one’s seen or heard from him. It’s as if he fell off the planet. Even the fact that he never informed us of his girlfriend’s name (which is also true FYI) made us wonder if he was somehow embarrassed by us. Well, as we were passing by the large line to buy the “lunch whatevers” I spotted someone who looked very familiar. NICK!
His looks changed and no longer looked like a teenage-version of the actor David Hyde Pierce (or more accurately, the character
Niles Crane). Now he looked more like the actor Neil Patrick Harris (or more accurately, the character Billy Buddy). He smiled and otherwise quietly motioned not to acknowledge his presence, but I of course ignored him. I ran over and gave him a huge hug and called out his name to signal to Lester and Sue. Then Nick shoved me off him and seemed very pissed that I was making such a scene. I yelled at him for not informing us that he was around, and he told me he wished I hadn’t noticed that he was there.
Deflated, I slinked away and down the escalator to the dining area. My group always ate at two tables placed together in an “L” shape, even though we didn’t need that much space. Lester and Sue were off to the one side of the table talking, and I was trying to avoid the advancements of some guy. He seemed familiar, like he was based off of someone I know, but I just can’t place the dream-version. Anyway, more reality slipped in when I flashed him my engagement ring and reminded him of Remy. He claimed he “forgot” about my engagement and reluctantly left.
Now alone again - for some reason I wasn’t talking to Sue or Lester - I shifted my seat so I was in the corner where the tables connected. I was distracted that morning and apparently only packed so much as a few napkins and a sugar-packet for lunch and, as per my usual life, I had no cash on me in order to buy something. That, on top of the advancement, and on top of Nick’s obvious embarrassment of even knowing me had me at such a deflated point that I just wanted to nap during lunch. Then, out of nowhere, a loud drum started playing.
I looked up to see where the noise was coming from, and it was right around my lunch table! The tables were outlined by a small band in strange costumes that resembled giant bubbles. The costumes sort of closed in around me and obstructed my view a bit, but then a guitar started playing and Nick emerged, singing while strumming the guitar. While writing this my memory of the dream is starting to fade and I no longer recall the song he was singing, but it was one of those 80s songs about missing someone you cherish – but it was also one of those songs that could be dedicated both to a lost love and just a really good friend.
Apparently, Nick was upset that I had seen him in the line because he wanted to surprise me with his little mariachi band. Lester and Sue joined in and we all talked. I yelled at Nick for staying away and keeping even his girlfriend’s name a secret from us. Something he said in reply made me think he had a crush on me (real-life ex-boyfriend so perhaps a little Freudian thinking there), but I flashed him Remy’s ring and informed him that he was too slow and too late. The awkwardness of rejecting Nick’s advances quickly passed as he sat to eat – the band dispersed – and the four of us hung out like we used to in high school.

The dream continued from there, but all I can remember is random snippets of this and that - not worth writing about.

Now my first obsessive pull has been satisfied. Thus my blog starts. ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment